Back to the early days!
Café - Restaurant ‘t Heemelrijck opened its doors at the Van Woustraat in Amsterdam.
Family owned recipes, which we develop since 1949, will be cooked here. Think of typical Dutch meals like pea soup, beef stew and hotchpotch.
Early 1949, grandpa Nars started a traditional sandwich shop in the heart of Amsterdam, it became one of Amsterdam’s most famous venues. Due to increasing crowds and economic growth, grandpa decided to transform the sandwich shop into a restaurant. It turned out to be a great success and his son Robbie became co-owner.
After many international inspiration tours of Robbie, they decided to transform the restaurant once more and it became Amsterdam’s first French bistro with a touch of the Dutch cuisine. It reopened again in 1976 and this was the moment Robbie was in charge of the full ownership.
After 44 years of working and owning the restaurant, the second generation decided to retire and exploit the restaurant and this wonderful location to new people in October 2010. Nevertheless, the feeling for hospitality didn’t fade away and this results in a great collaboration between the second and third generation; The reopening of Café - Restaurant ‘t Heemelrijck at the Van Woustraat 23 in Amsterdam.